Paleo Salted Caramel “Cheesecake” by the Merrymaker Sisters
This cake is seriously amazing and was a big hit with the family. I mean who doesn’t love anything that is salted caramel right?!
STUFF YOU NEED
FOR THE BASE
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dates, soaked in water for at least 10 mins
- 2 tbs. coconut oil
- 2 tbs. raw cacao powder
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 cups cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup dates, soaked in water for 10 mins
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp. pink himalayan salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla powder/extract
FOR THE TOPPINGS
- 1/2 a batch of paleo chocolate (link to recipe in blog post!)
- Line the base of a 20 cm spring form cake tin with baking paper and grease the edges with a little coconut oil.
- Start with the base
- In a food processor (we use our Vitamix), place the walnuts, coconut and raw cacao powder. Whiz these ingredients until a fine meal forms.
- Add the coconut oil and dates and whiz until it becomes a choc butter.
- Once it’s all combined, press the base in to the cake tin, making sure you press it out evenly, covering the entire base.
- Place in to the freezer.
- Now for the filling
- Drain and rinse the cashews and place them in to the food processor along with the coconut milk, dates, coconut oil, salt and vanilla.
- Whiz until completely smooth, this will take around 5 minutes.
- Take the base out of the freezer and pour the filling on top of the base.
- Shake the tin to even out the top and place the cake in to the freezer for around 1 1/2 hours or until set.
- Take the cake out of the freezer and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, time for the topping! You’ll need to make a 1/2 batch of paleo chocolate.
- Rub the outside of the cake tin with a hot cloth and release the spring form slowly (you may need to run a knife around the edge).
- Drizzle with paleo chocolate!
- Cut in to slices with a hot knife and store any left overs in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.